Up to $40,000.
Capacity Building grants help an organization increase its sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance structures. There is no preliminary application. The required application seeks to identify the specific problem you need to solve in your organization. We are looking for a clear understanding of the capacity deficit(s) that create challenges within the management systems or governance structure of your organization.
A committee will review applications and make selections for 2020 Capacity Building partners. Community Foundation staff will partner with the organization to co-design solutions.
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT TIMELINE
December 1, 2019: The grant application will be available on our eGrant system
February 3, 2020: Grant application deadline
February – April: Applications are vetted and the Community Foundation capacity-building team collaborates with applicants to co-create solutions.
2020 CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT CRITERIA
- Designed for capacity building efforts that increase a nonprofit’s sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance.
- Eligible organizations must have at least one paid staff and an annual operating budget of at least $100,000.
- Applicants must be willing to work collaboratively with Community Foundation staff to co-design a solution to your capacity building problem.
Examples of Capacity Building issues include:
- Board development
- Fundraising planning
- Governance structures
- Executive Leadership development
- Long-range planning
- Staff training and development
- Succession planning
The Community Foundation works with a network of consultants to provide capacity building support. The following have been previously vetted; however, new consultants are periodically added to the list.
- Non-Profit Network
- Michigan Nonprofit Association Tech Services
- John Cauley - Cauley Coaching and Consulting
- Erin Skene-Pratt - Momentum Associates
- Cathy Adcock - Adcock CFO Solutions
- Carol Pence - Pence Consulting
- Rebecca Bahar-Cook - Capitol Fundraising Associates
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT FORMS
Capacity Building online grant application (Opens December 1, 2019)
SAMPLE Capacity Building 2020 Grant Application
Request for Payment form (Fillable PDF)
Evaluation Form (Fillable PDF)
Instructions for using a Fillable PDF:
1. Open the template and SAVE IT before you begin filling in the form.
2. Complete the form, SAVE IT again with your answers.
3. Submit by email HERE
or print the finished form and return to the Foundation.