Up to $40,000
Capacity Building grants help an organization increase its sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance structures. This is a two-step process. We strongly encourage you to contact us for a phone consultation before you apply. Contact Cindy Hales, Director of Community Investment, firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-664-9851.
Step one - The grant application seeks to identify the specific problem(s) you need to solve in your organization, not a plan of action. We are looking for a clear understanding of the capacity issue(s) that create challenges within the management systems or governance structure of your organization.
Step two - Meet with Community Foundation staff to co-design a detailed plan of action to address your capacity issue.
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT TIMELINE
December 1, 2019: The grant application will be available on our eGrant system
February 3, 2020: Grant application deadline
February: Applications are vetted by the Capacity Building Committee
March and April: The Community Foundation capacity-building team collaborates with applicants to co-create a plan of action.
2020 CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT CRITERIA
- For capacity building efforts that increase a nonprofit’s sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance.
- Eligible organizations must have at least one paid staff and an annual operating budget of at least $100,000.
- Applicants must agree to work in partnership with Community Foundation staff to create a plan of action.
Examples of Capacity Building issues include:
- Board development
- Fundraising planning
- Governance structures
- Executive Leadership development
- Long-range planning
- Staff training and development
- Succession planning
The Community Foundation works with a network of consultants to provide capacity building support. The following have been previously vetted; however, new consultants are periodically added to the list.
- Non-Profit Network
- Michigan Nonprofit Association Tech Services
- John Cauley - Cauley Coaching and Consulting
- Erin Skene-Pratt - Momentum Associates
- Cathy Adcock - Adcock CFO Solutions
- Carol Pence - Pence Consulting
- Rebecca Bahar-Cook - Capitol Fundraising Associates
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT FORMS
Instructions for using a Fillable PDF:
1. Open the template and SAVE IT before you begin filling in the form.
2. Complete the form, SAVE IT again with your answers.
3. Submit by email HERE
or print the finished form and return to the Foundation.