Donor resources and frequently asked questions
Our resources are at your disposal
We offer a range of services and resources to help donors learn about community issues and make the greatest possible impact with their charitable giving.
In order to help donors be effective and efficient, we offer you:
- Personal service: We're available to speak with you about any aspect of your philanthropic giving. We'll also provide you with information about your favorite causes and nonprofits.
- Educational and networking events: Throughout the year, the Foundation hosts special events including a reception for Legacy Society members and an annual reception. We can also arrange site visits for our donors so you can see firsthand the charitable work being done in the community.
- Funding opportunities: We offer donors opportunities to leverage their giving through our annual competitive grant awards process and to learn about critical needs in the community.
- Donor's Bill of Rights: Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have certain rights regarding privacy, transparency and professionalism. Read more about our Donor's Bill of Rights.
- Our credentials: The Community Foundation is:
• A certified Michigan community foundation
• A Michigan nonprofit corporation
• A publicly supported tax-exempt organization classified under Section 501(c)(3) & 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code
• A member of the Council of Michigan Foundations
• Confirmed in Compliance with the National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations
• A member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the American Council of Gift Annuities, the National Committee on Planned Giving and the Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Financial information: An independent audit of the Community Foundation is conducted annually. Currently, the auditing firm is Maner, Costerisan & Ellis, PC. Hard copies of the following documents are available upon request, and are also available for download: Form 990, Form 990-T (if applicable), application for tax-exempt status (Form 1023), IRS Determination Letter, Audited Financial Statements. Excluding specific donor and personnel information, the financial records of the Community Foundation are public. See more of the Community Foundation's financial information.
- Annual report, news. and events: These items and our latest press releases can be found on our News & Events page.
Questions you might have about us: