How to Give to Eaton County
Looking to give close to home? We can help.
The Eaton County Community Foundation is a tax-exempt, non-political, philanthropic organization that uses income from endowed funds to support a range of charitable needs in the community.
We’re a public resource for donors, professional advisors, nonprofit agencies, municipalities, and corporations; we’re a grantmaking institution interested in helping everyone who has questions about how to achieve charitable goals.
To date, more than $250,000 in grants has been awarded to groups big and small working to make change in Eaton County communities. Are you ready to change lives?
What to give
Your generosity can take many forms:
- Cash, stocks, bonds, real estate and/or personal property
- Gifts memorializing or honoring loved ones
- Gift annuities
- Life insurance naming the Eaton County Community Foundation as beneficiary and/or owner
- Individual retirement accounts and charitable lead- or remainder trusts
- Conversion of a private foundation to a Community Foundation fund
Types of funds we manage
Give to one of our existing charitable funds or set up your own fund.
- Undesignated funds: Gifts to these funds address a broad range of current and future needs. They provide the maximum flexibility to meet future challenges in our region.
- Field-of-interest funds: These funds target needs in an important area of community life, such as human services, the performing arts, youth and senior programs, feeding the hungry, providing scholarships or assisting the disabled.
- Donor-advised funds: Donors set up named funds from which they recommend charitable disbursements to the board.
- Designated funds: Donors use these funds to support specific nonprofits.
- Agency endowment funds: These funds are partnerships between nonprofit organizations and the Community Foundation. We provide professional investment management and administration for these funds and each year the income generated provides a stable source of funding for the organizations.
- Corporate charitable gifts funds: Corporations’ philanthropic goals can be achieved through funds held by the foundation, without the burden and expense of administering an in-house charitable giving program.
Giving in Action: SIREN/Eaton Shelter creating happier homes
A $10,000 grant from the Community Foundation in 2011 has been critical to the success of SIREN/Eaton Shelter, which offers emergency shelter, transitional housing, case management and resource referrals, life-skills instruction and a basic-needs bank to people grappling with homelessness or domestic abuse.